|An unnamed fall very close to Upper Polly Branch Falls campsite.|
WHAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO SEE
I can only speak to the sections of this area I hiked, but I’ll update this overview when I return to the area for more exploring. So long as you’re taking trails to these destinations, you’re hanging out in nice wooded areas full of boulders, waterfalls, streams, and a “true” forest feeling. I look forward to returning here:
- POLLY BRANCH FALLS TRAIL - This trail winds mostly through dense, lush forest. Very pretty
- UPPER POLLY BRANCH FALLS - Very nice waterfall and beautiful area to hang out. Hike takes you to top of fall and this upper section of the stream is also a nice place to traverse and wade when waters are at a safe level. Always be careful by the falls, though!!!!
- UPPER POLLY BRANCH FALLS CAMPGROUND - This campsite sits along a still section of the Caney Fork River. Very peaceful. Moving water is within a few hundred yards of the campsite offering ample opportunity to filter and restock water. Be prepared for the potential of humidity and mosquitos as you are directly by the river.
- JENNY BRANCH FALLS - I give this a lukewarm endorsement. This is a short spur trail, but during my visit it was pretty overgrown and gets pretty rough and rocky. I wouldn’t quite call it “bouldering” to get there, but it’s a bit more effort than walking. The falls were only at a trickle during my visit as you see in the photo. It’s very, short, though, if you’re just looking to bag another waterfall.
- SCREWS CLIFF OVERLOOK - Skip this feature during summer and late spring unless you don’t mind doing a little extra navigating and suffering through some less than pleasant terrain. Or, go for it if you're just looking to bag an overlook (which has a limited vantage range when foliage is full)
- UPPER ELEVATION, NORTHEASTERN SECTION OF CHESTNUT MOUNTAIN RANCH TRAIL (at least in the summer/spring.) - Hot, brushy, and difficult to discern due to high grasses and brush overgrowth.
|My dog, Ebony, enjoys cooling off in Polly Branch Creek|My campsite at night by the Caney Fork River with my glowing new tent (Big Agnes Scout Plus UL 2 - LOVE IT!) Mist on the Caney Fork River at sunrise. Just by campsite (good place to restock & filter water if camping.) Upper Polly Branch Falls. This is a GREAT area to plan a lunch or respite. The barely trickling Jenny Branch Falls. Short but rugged and overgrown side trail to get here.